In 1919, David Assersohn and Mendel Kanal happened to meet each other on Ealing Common and decided to start a shul. The Ealing & Acton Hebrew Congregation was established in September 1919 and the Rev. John Harris is appointed Minister and Teacher.
In 1923 Ealing Synagogue moved to 15 Grange Road. The Ark and fittings were acquired from Hampstead Synagogue. The new building is consecrated on 6 April 1924. Rev. A Rose is appointed Minister, leading the community for thirty-eight years.
Ealing Synagogue joins the United Synagogue in 1923.
In 1935, the Ladies’ Gallery is extended and the foundation stone is laid for a communal hall.
The community continues to grow and the first overflow services for the High Holydays are held in 1946.
Rev. N. Goldberg is appointed as Chazan and Secretary in 1948.
Membership continues to grow and over one hundred children are enrolled in cheder classes.
In November 1959, the 40th anniversary of Ealing Synagogue, a fundraising event is held at the Cafe Royal to raise funds for a new classroom, the Hydleman Room, which is completed in 1962.
Rev. Rose retires in 1962 and is succeeded by Rabbi S. Silberg who stays with the community for five years.
In 1968, Rev. Dr. Norman Gale is appointed Minister and one of his first tasks is to establish the community magazine.
Ealing Synagogue’s Golden Jubilee is celebrated with a dinner at the Europa Hotel.
The 60th anniversary is celebrated at the Grosvenor Rooms, memorable for water flooding through the ceiling and soaking the guests.
During the 1980’s the membership begins to decline. In 1988, Rev. Gale leaves and the first Elders, Clifford Lawton, Menascz Lipowicz and Hans Stern, are appointed.
Rabbi Dr. Julian Jacobs is appointed Rabbi in 1989 and stays with the community until his retirement in 1998.
Due to the decline in the number of children, Ealing Synagogue closes its cheder in 1992.
Rabbi Herhi Vogel is appointed Rabbi in 1999.
The 80th anniversary of Ealing Synagogue is celebrated in the synagogue hall.
In 2002 the United Synagogue’s restructuring of synagogue management allows women to serve on the Board of Management. Ealing Synagogue elects its first female “Chairman”, Dorothy Kochan, formally known as Deputy Chair.
Ealing Synagogue celebrates its 90th anniversary on Sunday 8 November 2009.
Click on the link below to view the Ealing Synagogue 90th Anniversary Brochure (opens a new window).
Ealing Synagogue 90th Anniversary Brochure
In June 2011, Ealing Synagogue moved from the shul building to its newly renovated shul/communal hall, which incorporates many elements of the original building such as the Ark doors, chandelier and stained-glass windows.
The new synagogue building was dedicated by the Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks on 16 October 2011.